Posted by Sandeep Shelke (संदीप शेळके) on January 25th, 2014
Today nation is celebrating 64th Republic day on 26th January 2014. There have been several attempts to subvert the constitution by some, like Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal, Jaat Panchayats, some media houses etc. But I’m happy whenever there was any attempt to subvert constitution, citizens stood their ground in support of Republic of Bharat. Jai Bharat.
Bharat became independent on 15th August 1947 upon receiving the independent status within British Commonwealth from British empire. Officially Bharat became dominion of British Empire and remained so from 15th August 1947 to 26th January 1950. Dominion means an independent country but not an sovereign. Which precisely means we just had the political independence with allegiance to British crown [correct me if my understanding is incorrect]. That means we did not have own constitution to call it supreme hence Queen was supreme for us.
So the parliament formed the Constitution Drafting Committee under the leadership of Honorable Babasaheb (Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar) on 26th August 1947.
The drafting committee presented first draft on 4th Novemeber 1947, YES, within just 66 days the committee submitted the first draft. Of course they worked on it full-time. The draft was debated and over 2000 amendments were moved over the period of 2 years.
The assembly met for 166 days over almost 3 years from 4th November 1947 before constitution was signed by 308 members of assembly on 24th January 1950. On 26th January 1950 Bharat adopted the constitution signed by assembly and we became sovereign country.
The Bharatiya constitution is longest written constitution of any of sovereign country in the world. It contains 448 articles in 25 parts, 12 schedules, 5 appendices and 98 amendments.
I’m sure Mr Arvind Kejriwal, CM Delhi, must be having this knowledge. If not then please read this simplified version to understand the importance of Constitution.
Bharat spent Rs 10 Crore on constitution drafting till adoption to award ourselves Sovereignty. The state was deemed as servant of the citizens (of course its not the case practically, but that isn’t the fault of constitution) protector of citizen rights. Hence citizens now empower the state to govern for 5 years.
– Yes, the corrupt practices are haunting us because of socialist mindset of the politicians who fiddle the emotional cord of citizens to get votes.
– We must fight it, but constitution should not be challenged, yes we can amend it but must not discard.
– Yes, we must challenge the clauses and articles which empower state to encroach on citizen rights.
– Yes, we must change those which discriminate the citizens based on cast, color, religion, creed, gender.
– Yes there are some amendments which are against federal structure, citizens natural rights (like 42nd and 98th amendment) and those must be repelled.
But we must remember:
– Constitution is end of slavery.
– Constitution is supreme for Bharat.
– Constitution is the spirit of Bharat.