Posted by Sandeep Shelke on May 4th, 2011
This is second to the 2 post series. (Continuing from Endosulfan Saga) I’ll take you to why to ban endosulfan.
What happened in Kerala?
- Endosulfan use started in the year 1976, till 2001.
- Its used for spraying on cashew nuts plantation since 1976.
- In 1979, a farmer began to suspect that the pesticides
being aerially sprayed in the plantation might have
caused the deformities and stunted growth, which, he
observed in 3 of his calves.
- In 1997, a medical practitioner in one of the affected villages called the attention of the Indian Medical Association about the unusually large number of serious neurological, developmental, reproductive and other diseases, including cancer, that he had been seeing among his patients.
- People in the plantation area face many issues such as congenital anomalies, physical deformities, mental retardation, and are frequently ill.
- CSE (Center for Science and Environment India) found endosulfan residues in blood, water and other samples. The tests were done in Feb, 2001.
- Fact-Finding mission also found the occurrence of these illness is due mainly to endosulfan.
What is the state now?
- Endosulfan is banned in Kerala, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh.
- Gujrat Govt is doing its own assessment study.
- Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar turned down the national level ban proposal.
- AK Antony the then CM of Kerala was first to ban endosulfan in Kerala, 2001. But the after assuming the post of Union Defence Minister he withdrew his voice and support for ban.
- Nearly 80 countries have banned the use of Endosulfan which includes European Union, USA, New Zealand, Australia.
What we can do?
Why should I support ban?
- By breathing air near where it has been sprayed.
- Drinking water contaminated directly or through run-offs.
- Being in contact with contaminated soil.
- Eating contaminated food.
- Smoking cigarettes made from endosulfan contaminated tobacco.
- Working at endosulfan production centers.
- Direct ingestion.
If you are still not sure please read more: