Posted by Sandeep Shelke on February 10th, 2010
Ref-vidarbha agrarian crisis-2010 PRESS-NOTE Dated-09th feb.2010
– Six vidarbha Farmer Suicides reported in last two days due to Drought :VJAS urged Indian Agri. Minister Sharad Pawar to look at dying (read killing of) vidarbha farmers in place of IPL-3 Cricket .
Vidarbha farmers suicide spiral is likely to restart after the MH State Govt. declared drought in 14,059 villages in vidarbha due to complete crop failure that has increased despondency and gloom as six more farm suicides reported in last two days in west vidarbha ,three are from yavatmal district ,two from akola and one from wardha ,these are district which are covered under mega multi thousand crore Prime Minister Relief Package being implemented sine july-2006, informed Kishore Tiwari of Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti in press note .
The innocent farmers who killed themselves in last two days are due to vidarbha agrarian crisis
1. Chandu rathode of mohdari in Yavatmal
2. Gajanan manchelwar of pandharkawada in Yavatmal
3. Gajanan wankhede of Asara in Yavatmal
4. Vinod kale from Nindipeth in Akola
5. Manoj more of unkhed in Akola
6. Raju bobde of sawli wagh in Wardha
Recetaly maharashtra Govt. has declared more than 140000 villages of vidarbha as drought hit after last Anewari (crop yield estimate) given administration has been shown around 45% that’s complete loss cotton crop in the region.
As per administration reports these villages have been facing following problems
3. Food and
Even after these problems till date not a single district administration has started relief work. This is resulting in migration of thousands of farmers in search of work and food. Ground condition is worst than June-2006 and now it’s time for Indian prime minister to revisit the Vidarbha in order to take review of his relief package,Tiwari urged.
VJAS urged Indian Agri. Minister Sharad Pawar to look at dying vidarbha farmers in place of IPL-3 Cricket.
Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti in letter to faxed today to agriculture minister sharad to pay attention to the severe agrarian crisis of maharashtra and spare some time from his busy schedule of IPL-3 cricket.
It has long pending demand of vidarbha dying farmers to have fulltime Agriculture Minister who can attend issues of free health care, food security, rural employment, fodder to save dying cattle ,drinking water to rural masses and cattle on priority basis so that prevailing acute distress can be minimize and farmers suicides can be controlled,Tiwari said.
I urge to BJP, Shivsena and MNS leaders please set up a fight against government policies in order to bring in the changes needed to resolve to farmer crisis. This issue is far more important, morally correct and importantly politically correct. Also it is far better than fighting against MNIK-My Name Is Khan (carry on that too with your wish but consider this one too).
Dear Congress leaders please pay attention to this matter as well. Will earn you more votes and respect in “aam aadami” (if aam aadami’s definition includes farmers too). No one would threaten/hurt Rahul Gandhi for sure if he takes some steps to solve this problem.
When will all this stop? Can we do something?
Can we propose solution to this matter with some rigorous discussions? I think we can. Then lets offer some solution.
Here is what I think:
1. Survey the water resources, soil quality in these areas.
2. Solve the problem of food and drinking water on priority.
3. Stop BT Cotton seed and promote traditional seed.
4. Raise the minimum support prise for cotton, soyabin, onion, sugarcane…
5. Offer insurance at minimum premium to farmers with every loan
6. Make arrangements local Krishi Market at each taluka level.
7. Eliminate the dalals or bring in transparency.
8. Set up separate department for organic fertilizers development